My Tentative Exam Strategy Spreadsheet

Hi Guys!

I’ve been teaching a digitally-enhanced class, and just discovered Google Docs. I made a table of all of the books, and put in information on how I would plan on using each text, trying to relate each text to as many others as possible.  I would love to make a tree with all of the texts and theories.  I seem to be strangely visual in my studying.   I’ll elaborate on the ideas soon.  This is just very preliminary.  I’m printing this out right now, and will try to find additional connections (and substantiate on those I have already) over the next few days.  If any of my ideas spark anything for you guys, please run with them!  Good luck, and see you soon!  Be well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wTjwcBICS4SWxxUPKJwfK7vL1WP2gbIfWC2R-eR7AQA/edit?usp=sharing

2 thoughts on “My Tentative Exam Strategy Spreadsheet”

1. I really love the spreadsheet and it has certainly made me rethink how to organize my texts for the exam. I think now that you have made a list, it maybe beneficial to start cutting down on some texts. (You have 15 texts in your list). I don’t think you are giving yourself enough credit. Emily Dickinson’s poems can be used in both genre -lyric- and also theory. I like the idea of looking at Fun Home and using queer theory through a historical perspective. How the theory evolved etc. Since you have done so much work on dreams for your research paper, A Midsummer Nights Dream, SGGK, Oscar Woa, would fit with your plan quite easily. You got most of it down.

2. I don’t know how I forgot the idea of dreams being liminal states. That could work for a few texts, so thanks for that! I’d consider it for “The Dream of the Rood,” since you said you’re not sure how to use that text. It’s an interesting idea to compare/support with Kruger’s (historical?) approach using dream theory in the middle ages.
    Also for “The Collar,” if you’d like to use it, could be compared with other Dickinson or Brooks since they aren’t metaphysical poets. I think that qualifies for genre?