Annotated Bibliography, Ballroom, and Motivating Moves

Ballroom (Archipelago Style)
Ballroom (Archipelago Style)

Cartwright, Rosalind. “What do dreams do? What goes on in dreams? Are they, as some theorists

believe, deep and symbolic, or are they simply a consequence of random firings of the

brain as it ‘cleans up’ neural connections which are not needed? Rosalind Cartwright takes

a closer look at one of the mysteries of human experience.” Psychology Review, Apr.

2005, p. 2+. General

OneFile, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=ITOF&sw=w&u=cuny_queens&v=2.1&id=GALE

%7CA131903835&it=r. Accessed 3 Dec. 2016

This source is a scientific view on sleeping.  It’s extremely solid, and I hope to find a few more like this one that talk about the multiple viewpoints of dreams, their functions, and their meanings for the “scienc-y” part of my argument.  I hope to use this as a sort of scientific foundation of sorts, along with a few more sources I hope to read more in depth on the subject of dreams and their necessity.  This article takes a humanities sort of approach to the science, which works well for my essay.  I plan on using Gaipa’s strategies 2: butt kissing, probably 4: leapfrogging, and hopefully strategy 5: the peacemaker.  I don’t quite know how his view of science is going to tie in with Le Guin’s philosophies, my own, or his contemporaries in the dream study field.

Chu, Seo-Young. Do Metaphors Dream of Literal Sleep? : A Science-Fictional Theory of

Representation. Cambridge: Harvard UP, 2011. Print.

Professor Chu’s book seems fascinating.  It’s about the intersection of science fiction and sleep.  I hope to use this as a good foundation for my arguments about the genre of science fiction and how sci-fi fits into dreams (and vice versa).  I need to read this thing thoroughly.  I hope to use Gaipa’s strategies 2, 3, 4, and 8.  I plan on disagreeing with Chu’s stance on genre, after establishing her expertise on the subject, and gaining some insight into dreams in sci-fi.  I hope to integrate this book into my argumentation against genre, along with Mendlesohn (an expert on fiction).

Dalgleish, David. (1997). The ambivalent paradise: Or, nature and the transcendent in British

1. Extrapolation,38(4), 327.

I hope to use this source to talk about the blurry lines much sci-fi crosses.  This will help me to “take down” Mendlesohn and other genre-believers.  I hope to use this in conjunction with Le Guin’s interview on genre, and Douglas and Byrne’s article to speak against the genre-treatment.  I plan to utilize Gaipa’s 2: kissing butt to integrate this into my piece.

Douglas, Lynette, and Deirdre Byrne. “Womanspace: The Underground and the

Labyrinth in Ursula K. Le Guin’s Earthsea Narratives.” Literator, vol. 35, no. 1, 2014., pp. 1-8

http://queens.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1737515192?accountid=13379.

This article was absolutely fascinating to me.  It’s a literary critique of Le Guin’s The Other Wind, as well as some of her other works of fantasy.  It described the male-female power struggle seen quite often in Le Guin’s works.  This struggle is even in the landscape, according to Douglas and Byrne; the archipelago of the Earthsea novels is seen to have a gendered role.  I think that this source is a bit extreme, but nonetheless, raises some interesting points about the politics of fantasy.  I don’t think that the feminine represents death, but this is a relatively small bone to pick.  This source might help me break down some of the barriers between sci-fi and fantasy, as both are politicized.  I plan to use Gaipa’s moves 3, piggy-backing, and 5, playing the peacemaker.  I will piggy-back on the idea that gender politics in fantasy complicate the definition of fantasy.  I hope to play the peacemaker by using this as part of a way to break down the barriers between sci-fi and fantasy in a way that makes a bit more sense to Le Guin’s definitions and Mendlesohn’s.  I am not quite sure if it’s possible, but I really hopt to investigate this more!

Erlich, Richard D. (1999). From Shakespeare to Le Guin: Authors as

Auteurs. Extrapolation, 40(4), 341.

I haven’t gotten a hold of this journal yet, but it looks promising, and I’m doing my best to get my hands on it.  I can’t find much more on this article at the moment, but it looks like it is cool literary criticism of Le Guin, which might actually mention dreams, according to the search-words I used.  I hope to use Gaipa’s strategy 2: butt-kissing.

“Le Guin, Ursula K.: CAT DREAMS.” Kirkus Reviews, 15 Aug. 2009. Literature Resource

Center, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=LitRC&sw=w&u=cuny_queens&v=2.1&id=GALE

%7CA208121653&it=r. Accessed 4 Dec. 2016.

This source is a book review that discusses Cat Dreams, a children’s book by Le Guin.  This will be useful in establishing Le Guin’s dream theory across the genre of children’s fiction.  By doing so, I will attempt to establish that Ursula Le Guin refuses to be defined by genres.  The book speaks of a cat who has nightmares, but knows that it will sleep well while on her human’s lap.  The cat’s knowledge that it can sleep nightmare-free on the lap of a human mirrors Alder, from The Other Wind, who only manages to escape dreaming himself to the land of the dead by lasting living touch, accomplished in this novel mainly by a cat, who goes by the name Tug.  The relationship between cats and humans and seep requires a bit further exploration, as cats are mentioned in both of the longer texts by Le Guin that I am using.  I plan to use Gaipa’s strategies 2, kissing butt, and 7, dropping out.  I agree with this article’s treatment of both cats and Cat Dreams, but plan on using this information to try to uncover something new about this side-issue of cats and humans and dreams.

Mendlesohn, Farah. Rhetorics of Fantasy. Middletown, US: Wesleyan, 2013. ProQuest ebrary.

Web. 5 December 2016.

This source will prove useful for analyzing the distinction between fiction and science fiction.  The author talks about liminal fiction, immersive fiction, and discusses the ways in which the genres differ.  Dreams are also mentioned quite a bit, as well as portals, which dreams act as in The Other Wind.  This will be useful as a way of beginning a discussion on the differences in genre, as well as a theory on dreams, portals, and science fiction in the framework of the genre of fiction.  I would use Gaipa’s 1 and 3.  I plan to piggyback on her ideas, as well as disagree with her clear-cut definitions of genre.

“Review: Fiction: Before the dream: A prequel to the Otori trilogy is a satisfying historical

fantasy, says Ursula K Le Guin: Heaven’s Net Is Wide by Lian Hearn 578pp, Macmillan,

pounds 12.99.” Guardian [London, England] 27 Oct. 2007: 16. Business Insights:

Essentials. Web. 3 Dec. 2016.

This source helps to establish Le Guin as a literary critic in the field of fiction.  Le Guin reviews a novel on that challenges the nature of a fantasy novel by Hearn.  Le Guin had some critiques on the novel, but was overall a fan.  This work is useful, as Le Guin has a complicated relationship with the idea of genres, which I am trying to get a clearer vision of.  I will be using Gaipa’s strategies 7: dropping out, and strategy 8: crossbreeding with something new.  I hope to use this source to help me bring Le Guin in as a literary critic on fiction not considered sci-fi or about dreams.

“Review: Fiction: Islands of the mind: Ursula K Le Guin takes a tour of Christopher Priest’s

Dream Archipelago: The Islanders by Christopher Priest 339pp, Gollancz, pounds

12.99.” Guardian [London, England] 1 Oct. 2011: 10. Business Insights: Essentials.

Web. 3 Dec. 2016.

This source is a review written by Le Guin of Priest’s novel about dream islands.  Le Guin speaks a lot about dreams in fiction and fiction in dreams.  While she gave this book a mostly negative review, that she reviews novels about dreams and her critiques give insight into Le Guin’s views on what dreams should look like. She also tackles dreaming in the form of an archipelago, which might be useful, as her Earthsea saga is set in an archipelago, which Le Guin and critics of Le Guin find an important aspect (and representation of possible sexual tension) in her Earthsea books, including The Other Wind.  This source establishes Le Guin as a literary critic as well as an author.  I would utilize Gaipa’s strategy 7: dropping out, as well as is strategy 8: crossbreeding with something new.  I want to use a new and unexplored aspect of this source to pull out new information about Le Guin.

Walks’s Motivating Moves, Gaipa, and My Argument

I believe I have been mostly trying to tie four distinct arguments together in my study on dreams, science fiction, genre, cats, and science.  I am mainly trying to marry my sources in ways that make sense to a single argument.  I’m still trying to figure out how I am planning on using my gathered sources.  I notice that I am using Gaipa’s 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8.  I don’t want to dismiss any of my sources or argue directly with any of them.  I hope to use my sources, then either add to their arguments or disagree with their stances.  I also am hoping to create something interesting out of peripherals, so I see a lot of 7 and 8 in my future.  I see myself weaving these together with Walk’s Motivating Moves, primarily number 4: the conflict of published works.  This will be my primary tool while discussing the matter of genre theory.  5 and 6, about seemingly small things that are important come into play with dreams, portals, and cats.  7, the move that deals with tensions, will be used when I am discussing the nature of dreams across genres, as the juxtaposition of the two novels by Le Guin is offset by the divide between the genres, which needs some resolution.

4 thoughts on “Annotated Bibliography, Ballroom, and Motivating Moves”

1. Hi, Chani! You have a lot of great sources! Your drawing from many different genres and idea sources and I’m excited to see how you’re going to “marry” them together! Your “island” seems very populated, which is great because it will give you a lot to work with. I’m also really excited that you’re going to be arguing with sources!! That’s always fun. You have a lot going on- a lot of source, a lot of motives, and a lot of strategies. It’s a big paper so this is going to be very helpful but don’t let this overwhelm you. It’s cool that you’re using Mendleshon, we can conspire about that :). I think you have strong primary sources, and those will drive your essay. Try starting off with the big topics and then add the small “bones to pick” later. Best of luck!

2. Hey Chani! Man, it looks like you’re just about ready to go on starting your paper! That’s great to see. I think it’s great that you have such a wide variety of secondary sources. That’ll provide you with enough material to start different conversations related to your topic. I think it’s good that you want to tie all these sources together to create one argument, that way your paper won’t get lost or lose it’s main focus as you discuss each work. I agree with Zahava when she says you should start off (or maybe really focus on) the big ideas you want to get across first. And then you can add in all the smaller points you’d like to argue as you write. Since you have a lot of sources, it’s important that you don’t lose yourself in all the conversations that are going on. The way you structure your writing and how you’ll incorporate each source to create a nice flow is also super important so there’s no confusion for the reader. Just keep that in mind and you’ll be all set! I really don’t have anything else to suggest. Seems like you’re doing a great job. Good luck with everything! You got this. 🙂

3. Hey, so I’m not in your writing group and therefore don’t know exactly what you’re planning to explore, but I’m just wondering if you’ve ever seen the animated film Waking Life, which may potentially be helpful to you. It’s a really cool (and trippy) exploration of dreams, reality, consciousness and all that kind of philosophical stuff. Alternatively, it could be a complete waste of your time and completely unrelated to your topic, but I figured I would mention it anyway 🙂